I have the great providence of being surrounded by inspiring people. 5 for Friday questions will be asked of artists, farmers, curators, creators, innovators, entrepreneurs etc – all of the people that I find interesting. Everyone gets the same five questions. I was fated to meet Katie Okumura - she is my soul sister in many ways. Many years ago, at a mutual friends wedding, I was the day-of coordinator while Katie was the Maid of Honor. Little did I know this PYT would soon become a big part of my life. KatieO now works in marketing and merriment at Tom Douglas Restaurants, my professional alma mater of sorts. She is in charge of creating and implementing the events, marketing strategies, web copy, etc for several of the restaurants. A pretty cool job, right?! KatieO-On-The-Go is also a weekly contributor (and frankly the charming glue that holds two wayward chefs together in lively conversation!) to Seattle Kitchen on KIRO, Chefs Tom Douglas & Thierry Rautureau's food radio program.
Not only does Katie have a great job, but she has a major finger on the art-y-music pulse and is an excellent go to source for both visual and listening candy. Ten years my junior, I look to her for suggestions and trends. And for all of you ladies out there, she also happens to be a pro on the home manicure - check out some of her lacquer combos via her Instagram feed, KatieOonTheGo, where you can also follow her fashion and food finds. This gorgeous little thing is one to watch!
1. What did you eat for breakfast this morning? Flax Plus instant oatmeal with toasted hazelnuts, dried apricots and cherries. Black coffee.
2. What is one thing you do EVERY day, by choice? Be grateful.
3. If you had all the time in the world and no budget restrictions, what one project would you take on just now? (Can be a hobby, business, trip, etc). I'd ask each one of the closest people in my life where they'd most like to travel to in the world and spend a year (or more) taking those special trips with each of them.
4. Where is your happy place? My "happy place" is being at the beach on a hot day getting my tan on with a book and a drink near by!
5. What is your signature dish – something you make well and consistently? My roasted chicken is pretty solid (so says I)