I have the great providence of being surrounded by inspiring people. 5 for Friday questions will be asked of artists, farmers, curators, creators, innovators, entrepreneurs etc – all of the people that I find interesting. Everyone gets the same five questions. Today we feature Italian-food loving, NYU business school graduate and Capitol Hill resident Brandon Gillespie. I came to know Brandon many moons ago when I was producing the radio show for Tom Douglas. Tom ate at Brandon's restaurant in West Seattle (the now-closed Beato) and LOVED it. When Tom Douglas loves something, that's saying a lot! From there, Brandon popped around in food - Mighty O Donuts, Oola Distillery - and all along we kept in touch and kept up. Brandon is charming and sincere. He's smart and hospitable. He's true and nice - I love this man! And even better? He has three little girls that fall at his feet and a lovely wife to match.
Today, Brandon works at Lifelong Aids Alliance as the Senior Director of Programs, no surprise given his generosity and easy demeanor. Lifelong's mission is to empower people living with or at risk of HIV/AIDS and/or other chronic conditions to lead healthier lives. You should check them out and check in with Brandon to see how you can help. And be sure to read his response to #3 below - you heard it here first, Seattle. Meet Brandon Gillespie…...
1. What did you eat for breakfast this morning? A protein shake with fruit, yogurt, protein powder and milk.
2. What is one thing you do EVERY day, by choice? Give each of my kids a kiss.
3. If you had all the time in the world and no budget restrictions, what one project would you take on just now? I would run for City Council.
4. Where is your 'happy place'? In my basement on my big chair. Sounds strange to say that as it was the same for my Grandfather.
5. What is your signature dish - something you make well and consistently? Flank steak - my marinade is off the hook yo!